Wednesday, June 15, 2011

We are off again

Howdy?  We are once again on the road.  We are headed toward Nashville, TN for THE BIG WEDDING.  For those of you who do not know about "THE BIG WEDDING" (is there anyone on the planet?) it is one of Pat's relatives.

Before we left AZ we did have one of our famous sunsets.




We left Surprise and went to one of our favorite places, a campground near Cottonwood, AZ.  This campground is only about two hours north of Surprise but it is about 2000 feet higher and therefore cooler.  Our stay there gave Pat a few days to rest after the work of getting ready to travel. She is doing very well and feeling better all the time.

While in the area we just had to go to one of our favorite restaurants, the Haunted Hamburger (there is supposed to be a ghost but of course, you have always just missed her).  It is in the old mining town of Jerome, AZ.  Jerome was built on a steep mountain side.  The buildings on one street look over the roofs of the buildings on the next street.




No ghosts but great hamburgers.  We took a short drive above town and found this agave blooming.  The buildings in the background are the remains of the Gold King mine which is now a tourist attraction.






Once we got on I 17 just north of Phoenix I have to make one right turn to get to Nashville.  The right turn at Flagstaff put us on I 40 which goes all the way to Nashville.  I think I will throw away my GPS.  We usually do not travel interstates but with Pat's condition we thought we should get there the quickest and eastest way posible.

We are now in Amarillio, TX taking a rest day and waiting out an east wind.  We will leave tomorrow and see if we can keep from getting lost.