Saturday, September 23, 2017

Fall 2016 Cruise to Hawaii, American Samoa, Samoa, Bora Bora, Moorea, Tahiti

In the fall of 2016 we took a round-trip cruise out of San Pedro, CA to the islands listed above.
We have been to Hawaii before but each time we go we find new and interesting places to visit. 

IMG_3088






IMG_3093





IMG_3101






IMG_3103






IMG_3108






IMG_3047





Painted Church.  The back wall is just a flat wall painted to look as if it continues on.  Artists are amazing.

IMG_3048





IMG_3053






IMG_3061







IMG_3058







IMG_3062








IMG_3064








IMG_3068







IMG_3071







02






061







04







09






07








08






11






13






03







10







18








19







16







17




We sailed south from Hawaii, crossed the equator ( I did not see the line) and docked in American Samoa.  That night we sailed west, crossed the international date line and docked in Samoa. It was either tomorrow or yesterday.  That night we sailed back east toward Bora Bora and again crossed the international date line and it was either tomorrow, yesterday, the same day as before or the day before yesterday.  I didn’t know what the hell day it was but I tried not to worry about it.

The South Pacific Islands that we visited are all located at about the same latitude and they are all volcanically formed so, to us, they all looked similar.  The one exception was Moorea which looked more rugged.



IMG_3145





IMG_3155





Glass-bottomed boat tour.  Take your seasick pills.

IMG_3136






IMG_3123






IMG_3127






IMG_3130







IMG_3118







IMG_3141







Did you ever see some of these rooms built out over the water and think that you might rent one some day?  One of these can be rented for $1000 a night.  That is not a typo.


IMG_3175






Some of the entertainment on board


IMG_3200






Sunrise at sea

IMG_2951





Our last stop was on Tahiti.  We had a great time wandering around town.  We found this market that took up an entire block and was, in some places, two stories tall.  It was difficult to imagine how much stuff was here.


01






02





I wanted to buy Pat something to help remember our trip but from the look I got, my first choice must not have been a good one.  It must have been the wrong color.





03





I did better on the second try.  Tahiti is the only place on earth that has natural black pearls.

04